Jason says "read this blog!"
Just when I'm about to sign the DNR papers for this blog something comes along and inspires me to write another post. One of these days Jason Segel will come to his senses and beg me to befriend him. I just hope he isn't waiting to see the 365th reason. It may take years.



365 Reasons Why...An Explanation

Well, hello there (said in a very sexy voice). You're looking quite lovely today. Welcome to my blog. Feel free to take off your shoes and get comfortable, maybe leave a comment or two. This started out as kind of a funny thing to do after I blew a phone conversation with Jason, but I've found I really enjoy writing every day and researching new and interesting things about my future BFF. In January I met Jason at a comedy club and the few words we shared only reinforced my belief that he and I would get along famously. As a dear friend of mine recently said, "why wouldn't he want to be friends with you - you're awesome!" Perhaps the 365 reasons in this blog may just convince Jason of what I already know to be true: separately, our awesomeness is great; combined, it may be enough to take over the world. If you want to be one of my esteemed followers, simply click on the 'follow' button toward the bottom of the page. Come on, you know you want to.



Saturday, April 10, 2010

Reason 131

Seattle Men's Chorus. In 1979 a gaggle of gay men formed a small singing group that has blossomed over the past 30 years into the largest men's chorus in the entire world. Yep, when gay men in Seattle put their minds to something it gets a little out of control. Seattle is the 2nd gayest city in the country, afterall. Ten years ago my mom and I caught the Chorus's show with author Armistead Maupin and immediately fell in love with all those incredible singers. We have had season tickets ever since and neither of us has been disappointed with our yearly purchase yet. Each concert has the perfect balance of camp and class, a good mix of contemporary songs everyone hums along to, as well as long-lost ditties most of the population has never heard before, and you are guaranteed to spot a drag queen or two...or twelve. The men's last Christmas spectacular included a tribute to the Muppets, costumes and all. It's probably no surprise that I almost peed my pants with excitement when a lifesize Animal galloped onto the stage; it doesn't get much better than that, my friend. My all-time favorite show was a tribute to Swedish supergroup ABBA. The lyrics to "Does Your Mama Know That You're Out?" take on a whole new meaning when two hundred fifty gay men sing them. Sometimes there is a lull in all of the fabulous, musical queerness, so if your mind starts to wander during a performance you can always zero in on Kevin, the supremely talented ASL interpreter, who will mesmerize you with his sweeping hands and impecable rhythm. You can also bristle in your seat and think of creative, yet legal, ways to injure the idiots who take pictures during the show, whisper loudly to their neighbors, or shout out "I love you" to certain chorus members, as if they were at a boy band performance (all three of these things happened at tonight's show - can you tell I am a tad peeved?). Jason, my mom and I would be thrilled if you joined us for an SMC concert. We've finagled tickets for out-of-town guests before and I'm sure we could work something out for you. The last show of the season, which happens Pride weekend in June, will spotlight songs by Sondheim and Bernstein, two musical theater geniuses whom I know you appreciate. You don't even need to get gussied up for the show - Seattleites are notorious for rockin' jeans and Gor-tex to the swankiest of events and Seattle Men's Chorus shows are far from swanky. Just make sure your pants aren't pleated and your shoes match your belt. No self-respecting queen will want to come near you if you look like the straightest guy on earth. For that matter, neither will I.

No comments:

Post a Comment