Jason says "read this blog!"
Just when I'm about to sign the DNR papers for this blog something comes along and inspires me to write another post. One of these days Jason Segel will come to his senses and beg me to befriend him. I just hope he isn't waiting to see the 365th reason. It may take years.



365 Reasons Why...An Explanation

Well, hello there (said in a very sexy voice). You're looking quite lovely today. Welcome to my blog. Feel free to take off your shoes and get comfortable, maybe leave a comment or two. This started out as kind of a funny thing to do after I blew a phone conversation with Jason, but I've found I really enjoy writing every day and researching new and interesting things about my future BFF. In January I met Jason at a comedy club and the few words we shared only reinforced my belief that he and I would get along famously. As a dear friend of mine recently said, "why wouldn't he want to be friends with you - you're awesome!" Perhaps the 365 reasons in this blog may just convince Jason of what I already know to be true: separately, our awesomeness is great; combined, it may be enough to take over the world. If you want to be one of my esteemed followers, simply click on the 'follow' button toward the bottom of the page. Come on, you know you want to.



Saturday, March 20, 2010

Reason 110

Volkswalking. What? You don't know what that is, Jason? Hmm, it could be because you are under 60 years old. For years I had been seeing little announcements in the weekend edition of the paper touting the fun and exercise that could be had at Volkswalking events and wondering what in the heck went on there. My mom knew a bit about the "sport," so we showed up to a New Year's Eve walk in Seattle three years ago and were instantly hooked. Basically, Volkswalk is a German craze that literally means "walk of the people." Hardcore walkers form clubs that map out various routes around the state and sponsor events for people who want to go on these walks. The kicker is we actually pay to go for walks. Yep, generally sane people who refuse to pay for bottled water because you can get the same stuff for free from the tap willingly throw down a hefty three dollars to participate in each event. What do we get for our $3? A stamp in our pastel-colored Volkswalk books. Once we accumulate enough stamps we get a patch. Oooh, aaah. Yep, we have clearly had a sip of the tasty German Kool-Aid and are going back for more. Jason, Mom and I would love to have you join us on a walk. All the old ladies in their unsightly walking shoes and fanny packs would love to fawn over you since good-looking, single men who still have all their own teeth are a rare sight at events. Other than the almighty stamps and patches, there are a number of benefits to Volkswalking. You get a fairly good workout, walking a minimum of 5K (that's 3.1 miles for the metrically-challenged among us), and there is usually interesting architecture and wildlife to take in. In the Seattle area you almost always soak up breath-taking views of either Mt. Rainier or Puget Sound and, if nature doesn't float your boat, the people watching is usually spectacular. Just imagine a gaggle of geriatric walkers, some of whom have the dexterity of Carl from Up, attemtping to read poorly written directions while hobbling along gravel paths. Good times. The only downfalls are having to pee in porta-potties or questionable park bathrooms (the one I used today had a pentagram painted above the toilet - human sacrifice in Puyallup, anyone?) and the desperate need for a coma-like nap after crossing the finish line of a 10K event. If you aren't doing anything next weekend, Jason, feel free to join us for a walk through the bustling town of Dupont. The first walk is free (that's how they get you!) and sometimes there's candy. How could you resist?

3 comments:

  1. It's the same Jessica as before! Those walks sound like a blast!! And I totally agree with you on the cell etiquette! I really enjoy reading your blog! It has me cracking up each entry (and yes, I've gone back and read ALL of them). Lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're more dedicated than my own family! I'm thrilled you're enjoying the posts, Jessica. It's reassuring to know my weird sense of humor is appreciated by complete strangers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! It's strikingly similar to my own! And here I thought that I was the only one that appreciated this kind of humor!

    ReplyDelete