Jason says "read this blog!"
Just when I'm about to sign the DNR papers for this blog something comes along and inspires me to write another post. One of these days Jason Segel will come to his senses and beg me to befriend him. I just hope he isn't waiting to see the 365th reason. It may take years.



365 Reasons Why...An Explanation

Well, hello there (said in a very sexy voice). You're looking quite lovely today. Welcome to my blog. Feel free to take off your shoes and get comfortable, maybe leave a comment or two. This started out as kind of a funny thing to do after I blew a phone conversation with Jason, but I've found I really enjoy writing every day and researching new and interesting things about my future BFF. In January I met Jason at a comedy club and the few words we shared only reinforced my belief that he and I would get along famously. As a dear friend of mine recently said, "why wouldn't he want to be friends with you - you're awesome!" Perhaps the 365 reasons in this blog may just convince Jason of what I already know to be true: separately, our awesomeness is great; combined, it may be enough to take over the world. If you want to be one of my esteemed followers, simply click on the 'follow' button toward the bottom of the page. Come on, you know you want to.



Thursday, February 25, 2010

Reason 87

Real teachers. Congrats seem to be in order, Jason. I have received approximately one billion links to articles about Bad Teacher, the latest Cameron Diaz vehicle in which you will be playing a middle school P.E. teacher. Now, teachers have long been maligned on film, often looking completely incompetent or like fascist disciplinarians. Gym teachers, especially, seem to fit into two categories: the ruthless, butch lesbian or the overweight, creepy guy who struts around in teeny shorts, ogling the blossoming, young girls. I have been a teacher for almost five years and that doesn't line up with my experience at all. Sure, there have been days when the kids are totally out of control and threatening them within an inch of their lives is the only way to turn the situation around, but those days are pretty rare. There are four P.E. teachers at my school and nary a one comes close to the stereotypes people see on the big and little screens. Jason, I know you are a stickler for authenticity when it comes to the roles you play, so I would be more than happy to prep you on all the things middle school teachers deal with on a daily basis. All the awkward things that slip from the mouths of babes, the plethora of confusing educational acronyms, coma-inducing staff meetings, "helicopter" parents that challenge every point lost on their precious babies' assignments...the list of atrocities goes on and on. Heck, you could even spend a day or two shadowing me. I don't want to bruise your ego, but most of my students have no idea who you are since you don't play a vampire or werewolf on TV, so you'd be able to observe freely. My students certainly wouldn't care about being on their best behavior, so everything you see would be a true reflection of daily life for American tweenagers. Working at a middle school is almost like seeing a car accident - it's disturbing, but you can't seem to tear your eyes away from the wreckage. Honestly, Jason, how can you resist?

No comments:

Post a Comment