Jason says "read this blog!"
Just when I'm about to sign the DNR papers for this blog something comes along and inspires me to write another post. One of these days Jason Segel will come to his senses and beg me to befriend him. I just hope he isn't waiting to see the 365th reason. It may take years.



365 Reasons Why...An Explanation

Well, hello there (said in a very sexy voice). You're looking quite lovely today. Welcome to my blog. Feel free to take off your shoes and get comfortable, maybe leave a comment or two. This started out as kind of a funny thing to do after I blew a phone conversation with Jason, but I've found I really enjoy writing every day and researching new and interesting things about my future BFF. In January I met Jason at a comedy club and the few words we shared only reinforced my belief that he and I would get along famously. As a dear friend of mine recently said, "why wouldn't he want to be friends with you - you're awesome!" Perhaps the 365 reasons in this blog may just convince Jason of what I already know to be true: separately, our awesomeness is great; combined, it may be enough to take over the world. If you want to be one of my esteemed followers, simply click on the 'follow' button toward the bottom of the page. Come on, you know you want to.



Monday, May 17, 2010

Reason 167

Evolution. Up until a few years ago I naively went about my business under the assumption that all rational people believe in evolution. In middle school my science teacher did an excellent job of explaining natural selection and gushing about the awesomeness of Charles Darwin, and I thought everyone had a similar experience. In fact, I still use my 6th grade understanding of taller giraffes surviving and passing their freaky genes on to their adorable offspring all because they were able to reach more leaves as a way to wrap my brain around the idea that change is constant and everything on our planet is evolving. Take that, short giraffes! Well, as I found out in a small, dark bar in Seattle many moons ago, there are adults out there who believe Darwin's theories are bunk and are masquerading as intelligent, logical people. One of my good friends at the time (who shall remain nameless for fear of further embarrassment) revealed to me, after I mentioned something about idiots who are in denial about the monkey-human connection, that he was in fact one of those idiots. He had been raised by southern Baptist parents who drilled into him the so-called truth found in the Bible and he didn't bother to question their preaching even though he was in his mid-20's. Well, as you can imagine this news caused my eyes to bug out of my head for a good minute or so, and then I asked him if he believed in gravity. In my mind it doesn't seem reasonable to choose one scientifically proven theory over another. My question ended our conversation pretty quickly and we never spoke of evolution again. Imagine my surprise and delight then, Jason, when you recounted in an interview a date you had gone on with a perfectly lovely woman who shocked you halfway through dinner when she casually mentioned she didn't believe in evolution. You politely excused yourself from the table, ran to the bathroom and splashed cold water in your face, stunned that you had been duped into believing your dining companion was a sane human being. Seems you and I have more in common than I realized - like the two of us really need to keep a better eye out for Jesus fish on people's cars.

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that Darwin actually recanted his findings before his death?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you, trying to stir the pot. Next you'll be telling me that people and dinosaurs existed at the same time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica (yes, the same one as before!)May 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

    Right there with ya on all of it! I've still been reading your blog. Checking it daily! It would probably be easier to just make an account!

    And we all know people and dinosaurs existed at the same time...Jurassic Park! Lol!

    ReplyDelete