Jason says "read this blog!"
Just when I'm about to sign the DNR papers for this blog something comes along and inspires me to write another post. One of these days Jason Segel will come to his senses and beg me to befriend him. I just hope he isn't waiting to see the 365th reason. It may take years.



365 Reasons Why...An Explanation

Well, hello there (said in a very sexy voice). You're looking quite lovely today. Welcome to my blog. Feel free to take off your shoes and get comfortable, maybe leave a comment or two. This started out as kind of a funny thing to do after I blew a phone conversation with Jason, but I've found I really enjoy writing every day and researching new and interesting things about my future BFF. In January I met Jason at a comedy club and the few words we shared only reinforced my belief that he and I would get along famously. As a dear friend of mine recently said, "why wouldn't he want to be friends with you - you're awesome!" Perhaps the 365 reasons in this blog may just convince Jason of what I already know to be true: separately, our awesomeness is great; combined, it may be enough to take over the world. If you want to be one of my esteemed followers, simply click on the 'follow' button toward the bottom of the page. Come on, you know you want to.



Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Reason 197

Art. I have appreciated art since I was little, taking great joy in making elaborate Play-Doh scenes, sculpting odd creatures out of the rough clay from the hillside near my house, and swirling bright colors together on that special, slick finger painting paper. Somewhere along the line I realized the art I made wasn't particularily interesting or inspiring, unlike the detailed, other-worldy pictures my brother drew, so I poured my energy into other creative outlets. What I didn't abandon, however, was my appreciation for art of all kinds, which is obvious as soon as you set foot in my tiny studio condo. Every single wall has at least one framed piece of art hanging on it and there is a stack of prints and original works leaning against the kitchen table, patiently waiting for a home. In fact, on several recent occasions I have had to stop myself from investing in anymore pieces, no matter how jaw-dropping, thought-provoking, or down right hilarious they may be, because I have simply run out of walls. I guess that isn't such a bad problem to have in the grand scheme of things. I especially like stumbling upon work by local artists - you know, the kind who painstakingly set up a small booth at all the seasonal craft fairs and farmer's markets, trying desperately to avoid eye contact with the unwashed masses as they stroll by in search of stinky candles and photographs of a cherry tree in full bloom, as if that constitutes great art. Gee, I'm not a snob or anything (she says while rolling her eyes). Once we're friends, Jason, I would adore checking out the art scenes in Los Angeles and Seattle with you on my arm, having heated discussions about why that rusty bike tire mounted on a toilet doesn't get me all hot and bothered and letting you convince me that it wouldn't hurt to have one more picture of a naked lady in my bathroom. As Twyla Tharp so brilliantly stated, "art is the only way to runaway without leaving home," and I think it would be grand to run away with you once in awhile, Jason.

No comments:

Post a Comment