Jason says "read this blog!"
Just when I'm about to sign the DNR papers for this blog something comes along and inspires me to write another post. One of these days Jason Segel will come to his senses and beg me to befriend him. I just hope he isn't waiting to see the 365th reason. It may take years.



365 Reasons Why...An Explanation

Well, hello there (said in a very sexy voice). You're looking quite lovely today. Welcome to my blog. Feel free to take off your shoes and get comfortable, maybe leave a comment or two. This started out as kind of a funny thing to do after I blew a phone conversation with Jason, but I've found I really enjoy writing every day and researching new and interesting things about my future BFF. In January I met Jason at a comedy club and the few words we shared only reinforced my belief that he and I would get along famously. As a dear friend of mine recently said, "why wouldn't he want to be friends with you - you're awesome!" Perhaps the 365 reasons in this blog may just convince Jason of what I already know to be true: separately, our awesomeness is great; combined, it may be enough to take over the world. If you want to be one of my esteemed followers, simply click on the 'follow' button toward the bottom of the page. Come on, you know you want to.



Sunday, June 27, 2010

Reason 208

Summer fun. In 1961 Wham-O, a beloved American company that made millions off of fads like the hula hoop and sling shot, introduced a product that has been inadvertently harming klutzy kids and stupid adults for generations - the Slip 'N' Slide. I happen to be housesitting right now for my darling mother while she is at some boring work conference in Lake Tahoe; and while I was on a leisurely stroll through her neighborhood this morning, I noticed a bright yellow length of watered-down plastic unfurled in someone's front yard. Oh, how the memories of my own Slip 'N' Slide days came trickling into my frontal lobe, much like the water that manages to escape out of the miniscule holes in Wham-O's summer staple. Many an hour of summer vacation was spent acting like a trained seal, sliding around on my stomach to entertain the neighbors. The front lawn of my childhood home is sloped, which allowed my friends and me to shriek with exhilarated delight as we gained intense levels of momentum after we flopped our bellies down onto the Slip 'N' Slide. The only drawback was once we reached the end of the ride we had to slam on the brakes to avoid flying right into a garden area full of scratchy bushes and bark. All of the water from the contraption also tended to pool at the bottom of the grassy hill, creating a bog of sorts that sucked you in if you weren't paying attention (kind of like the Fire Swamp's lightning sand, now that I think about it). Parents could always tell if their children had been partaking in the Slip 'N' Slide madness at my house because grass burns and splinters were plentiful, along with soaking wet t-shirts that had been stretched beyond imagination in an attempt to achieve the perfect vehicle for slipping and sliding all the way down the lawn. Now, I haven't taken a running belly flop onto a slick plastic slide in at least twenty years, but if you are open to a little adventure (and possible broken bones), Jason, I know my mom would let us set a Slip 'N' Slide up in the front yard. We'll have to relocate the stone birdbath in the garden and may need to invest in some kind of air cushion to place at the bottom, but those minor details shouldn't keep us from making complete asses of ourselves in front of the neighborhood kids. I'll be housesitting until Tuesday, so grab some sunscreen and your bathing suit and hop the next flight to Seattle. Don't let the 65 degree weather deter you, Jason. Come on over so we can celebrate national Slip 'N' Slide month together!

1 comment:

  1. We bought a Slip 'n Slide last summer for Will. he liked it, but I think John and I had more fun using it than he did!! Sadly our backyard is totally flat, so we had to propel ourselves across it, which of course was much easier to do when our ages were in single digits.

    ReplyDelete